Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Descartes Was a Hippie!

"The Hippie Chick"
Hi there, my devoted followers. It seems like I’ve spent enough time dwelling on the distant past and am now ready to begin some mind-mystifying narratives from sophomore year; I think you guys will find this one oddly entertaining, it happened a couple weeks ago. As usual, it was around one a.m. on a Thursday morning, and one of my roommates was fidgeting with a box of old books from last year. He kicked the box and said: “835 dollars later, and look where my ‘portals to knowledge’ are, in a scruffy old box, decaying” (yes, he bought his books at the campus book store…Jeesh, what a moron). After kicking the box, a book on “Descartes” flew out onto the ground; it was a book on Epistemology. He said “oh, hey you guys, remember what a cynic Descartes turned out to be? I mean, for Pete’s sake, he didn’t even trust what he thought he believed”; Descartes was obsessed with trying to ascertain what was true in life, and questioned the concept of "knowledge". Suitemate 1: “He thought he had everything figured out…what he "knew" was "true" and was considered “knowledge” because God is infinitely good and would not allow him to be deceived by anything”. The other “elder”: how could he be so confident that there wasn’t a demon deceiving him into believing that God would never allow him to be deceived? Suitemate 1: this is why I don’t believe in religion, you guys, it makes every instance of life extremely complicated. Perhaps Descartes would have been better off being an atheist…He would have done so much more than just sitting in an dark, smelly room, sipping his tea, and thinking about the possible deception that could intrude in his life, or possible “chains” that encroached his existence…I bet he was hippie”.

I’m sorry to leave everyone “hanging” but, this tale is a bit too long to finish in one entry. Stay tuned! I’ll write more about my friend’s strong (and mostly negative) opinion of Descartes in my next entry. Until then!

Creative Commons License
"The Hippie Chick" by mwlguide is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License.
Based on a work at www.everystockphoto.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment